Friday, April 20, 2012

BYU Graduation

so after 26 years, 6 kids, 4 states I have finally finished my BA degree in Art History!  It was an emotional day for me and as I began walking in the processional I was trying to fight the tears back...good thing I had my sunglasses on!  While all the young people in line with me were busy talking to their friends, and just competely filled with excitement, I was overwhelmed by gratitude of so many things....parents who encouraged me to go to college,... husband who always supported me,... kids who were understanding and so excited to see me graduate....my scholarship,...friends who inspired me and who rejoiced with me....family who loved me and were proud of me....I was not the oldest graduate, there was a 66 year old woman.....and most of all a Father in Heaven who loves me and who I know is very aware of me and my needs!  so much to be grateful for! 

I knew all of these young adults understood that what they had done was amazing and important but I couldn't help but think they really have no idea how much this means but they will in about 20 years!  As we walked through the tunnel of the Marriot Center I could hear the music and then it really hit me.....I knew my kids were at the top of section U (the very top) and so I waved to them as I came in and I saw all 7 of them wave to me and then it was just to overwhelming!  I was overcome and the tears really began to flow....and I had no sunglasses to hide them.  I really tried hard to keep it together, and Im sure out of the 6000 students graduating no one really noticed the old lady in blue crying...hopefully!  I felt my mom's presence there, which meant so much to me!  I miss her and I have only felt presense a handful of times and usually it is in the temple or my home and so this was really special to feel her there with me.  I think that is why I could not hold back the tears!  What a blessing that the Lord can make that veil thin just when we need it!  I don't know if anyone else in the Marriot Center had such a spiritual experience as I did yesterday, but I am still exhausted from the emotion I felt and just so full of gratitude!

We had a great party after....my kids were wonderful and stepped in when dad was too sick!  Barbeque...signs, cake, volleyball...(Jackson set up the volleyball net cause dad was sick) and a live band (courtesy of nick and friends)....family that came to celebrate with us was the best!.... Ashley even missed a pop quiz (which if you know ashley would stress her out big time) and she wore a BYU gymnastic shirt (although she did cover the word gymnastics on the shirt with duct tape), Emma missed her school's walk-a-thon for my graduation and Nick went sick!  "Lily just kept asking did you get an A?"

 I just have to thank everyone in my life that ever had helped me watch kids while i studied or went to school and who supported me....especially this year Kelsi was a huge help watching lily for me!  Thank you Thank you Thank you!

2 comments:

Deena said...

Jane- Congratulations! You are amazing!! It was so great to see you- wish it was longer than a minute!

Julie E. said...

So proud of you Jane!! What a great accomplishment and a great example for your family.