Saturday, March 5, 2011

Family Memorial

Today we had a family memorial to remember my Grandmother....it was one of those sacred moments that bond a family together that I will always treasure and so glad we had a memorial to honor her!  I had prepared a eulogy with pictures from her life, all of my kids and Kenny shared memories, feelings or thoughts about grandma which was really special and then Kenny talked about death and resurrection.  By the time he was done we all had tears rolling down our faces because of the great feelings of gratitude we felt for our Heavenly Father who had prepared a perfect plan of salvation for us.  And we all felt a great love for our Savior who provided the atonement so that plan could work and to know that the "sting of death is swallowed up in Christ." 

In tears, Kenny shared this quote from Joseph Smith that I had never heard but thought is was just so beautiful to share to all those who have lost a loved one, what comfort this is..."Would you think it strange if I relate what I have seen in vision in relation to this interesting theme?...So plain was the vision, that I actually saw men, before they had ascended from the tomb, as though they were getting up slowly. They took each other by the hand and said to each other, "my father, my son, my mother, my daughter, my brother, my sister.'  And when the voice calls for the dead to arise, suppose I am laid by the side of my father, what would be the first joy of my heart?  To meet my father, my mother, my brother, my sister; and when they are by my side, I embrace them and they me."(History of the Church, 5361-62) 

I know Kenny read this thinking of his father, me of my mother and all 8 of us thinking of Grandma Grace...(well 7 of us, because Lily just happened to fall asleep right before which made our memorial a little more peaceful and sacred!...Kenny said "I bet Grandma rocked her asleep")  We finished it off with a Mostaccioli dinner...it was delicious!  I love my family and will treasure that sweet hour that we honored my grandma, we laughed, we cried and most importantly our testimonies grew and our gratitude increased for THE GREAT PLAN OF SALVATION!

1 comment:

Susan P. said...

Thank you for sharing. I know your love is felt in heaven by those who are there and your newly arriving grandmother.